Collagen injections involve the use of collagen to treat facial imperfections such as wrinkles, worry lines, acne scars, crow’s feet etc. Collagen is a natural form of protein that is found in the human body. It is obtained from areas such as the skin, tendons, cartilage, and bones. The collagen found in the skin is what plays a key role in skin regeneration and maintaining elasticity. Apart from correcting facial imperfections, collagen has also been used in the treatment of areas such as the neck, back, and chest.
Collagen injections are a very popular form of cosmetic treatment. This is because they are safe and they also provide quick and noticeable results.
Commonly used collagen injections
There are primarily two varieties of collagen injections:
- Bovine collagen: Bovine collagen is obtained from cows and one of the most commonly used. This particular type of collagen is generally used in the elimination of wrinkles, followed by other facial imperfections. The collagen, once obtained from the bovine species, is sterilized, purified and liquefied before application. However, bovine collagen has been known to trigger allergies. Therefore, patients need to consult doctors before going in for this particular type of collagen treatment.
- Human-based fillers: Human based collagen fillers are derived from human skin. There are mainly 3 types:
- Autologen: Autologen is extracted from the skin and harvested during an earlier procedure. The collagen is sent to a lab, where it undergoes, sterilization and purification. After which, it is liquefied for future re-injection. Autologen does not trigger allergies, as it is a natural collagen.
- Isolagen: Isolagen is produced by cloning collagen cells that are obtained from the arae behind the human ear. Just like Autologen, Isolagen is also allergy free.
- Dermalogen: Dermalogen is derived from diseased humans. It is easier to prepare and tends to have a longer and more lasting effect. Plus, it is allergy free like Isolagen and Autologen.
Need more information on collagen injections? Contact Naples Cosmetic Surgery Center
For more information on collagen injections, contact Naples Cosmetic Surgery Center. We are located in Naples and can be contacted at 239.348.4357. We look forward to hearing from you.